Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This is going shockingly well.

...and I'm just waiting for the shit to hit the fan.

My committee and my department have been supportive.  But then, I'm in one of the more progressive departments (yeah, English!) at a very progressive, liberal public university.  I'm not sure how the Academic Job Market (AKA the "soul-crushing pain machine") will go next fall/winter.  But we'll deal with that when we get there.

In the meantime, here I am: 7 months pregnant, most of the way finished with a draft of my dissertation.  For the record, the extreme fatigue wore off by week 12, and I never was sick.  I've actually been feeling great throughout the pregnancy so far.  My plan is to get the draft to my advisor before Babypocalpyse (due date: June 2).  Then I'll spend the summer working on my job dossier and maybe starting some edits on the dissertation.  Also, diapers and sleep deprivation.

Future updates: "The love that dare not speak its name": why women are afraid even to discuss having children among academic colleagues, health coverage for prenatal care as a grad student, the reaction of the department and campus to a visibly pregnant graduate student, best places on campus to change a diaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment